Every organ and limb in the body relies on a healthy circulatory system. I to stay properly supplied with oxygen and to function well. When circulation is not in prime working order, some of the common ways that it shows up in the body include:
- Tingling fingers and toes
- Episodes of numbness throughout the extremities
- Being constantly chilled and having a difficult time warming up
- Thinning hair or hair loss
- Delayed or slow healing due to a weakened immune system
If you are one of the millions of people suffering from poor circulation, you are probably very aware of the challenges that the condition can bring to your life.
While lowered circulation can certainly be the result of ageing, it can also be a symptom of something more serious. We will talk about some of that later, but first let’s look at some of the ways things that you can do to improve circulation.
Table of Contents
How to improve poor circulation
One of the most effective ways to improve circulation is to increase the body’s movement. Cardiovascular exercise like walking, running and biking are excellent ways to improve circulation, as well as stretching and yoga. If you work at a desk, setting an alarm for a 5-10 minute stretch every hour will help get the blood flowing throughout the day.
2. Sleep solutions
There are several ways that you can improve your circulation while you sleep! Sleeping on certain mattresses and bed frames can help ease the pressure on your body and limbs, while increasing the flow of blood throughout your body.
- Pure Energy (Ironman) Mattresses. These incredible mattresses are made using Celliant technology, which converts the body’s heat into far infrared light (FIR). Next, the Celliant fibers, created from natural minerals and embedded into polyester fibres, emit the FIR into the body, where it is absorbed by the tissue and muscles, increasing oxygen and improving circulation. These mattresses have gone through multiple peer-reviewed, scientific studies, which have shown that they have a demonstrable effect on improving circulation.
- NewGen Mattress. This is another brand of latex mattress that utilizes Celliant technology to support sleepers, and especially those with circulation problems. Plus the natural latex used in the NewGen Mattress provides 33% more pressure relief while simultaneously creating support, because of the buoyant nature of latex. This means that muscles relax, you can fall asleep quickly and your circulation can flow while you stay soundly asleep.
- Adjustable bed frames with zero gravity position. Adjustable bed frames have some surprising health benefits, especially when people can sleep in the “zero gravity” position – which means a person is half sitting, half laying on their backs with their knees and shoulders elevated.
You can probably picture astronauts in this position. It’s great for people on earth, too, because the joints are eased from the usual gravitational pressure, so the body is able to fully relax, making it easier to fall asleep and for the blood to flow freely throughout the body.
We all know that a healthy can improve all areas of life, including sleep and circulation. And there are some foods that specifically target blood flow, such as cayenne pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, fatty fish, garlic and onions, leafy greens, and berries. As always, a diet of fresh fruits, vegetables, and a variety of herbs and spices are going to make things better all around.
There are also other things that you can do to improve your chances of falling asleep easily and staying asleep through the night. Here are a few more sleep tips that could help with the quality of sleep you are having each night.
- Reduce stress. Whatever that looks like for you, but reducing stress through exercise, therapy, going to one of those rooms where you smash things with a baseball bat, or meditation will help both improve your circulation and your chances of sleeping well throughout the night.
- Reduce screen time. Especially for about an hour before bed. These days, that feels like a tall order but it’s a matter of discipline! And the reward of having a great night’s sleep are very much worth it.
- Design the perfect sleep space. Creating a space that you can’t wait to crawl into every night can make going to bed a much more pleasant experience. That might mean getting a fresh new mattress, new sheets and blankets, and installing black out curtains on your windows.
If you are looking for more sleep advice or are in the market for a new mattress, we invite you to swing by our store for all the best mattress models and a friendly staff who cares about how well you sleep!