Sleep Guide from WR Mattress
As something we do every night, one would think we’d all be experts when it comes to sleep. The fact is most people do not really know what happens when we sleep and why sleep is so vital for our well being. WR Mattress Gallery, your White Rock – South Surrey mattress store is pleased to explain more about sleep and how a quality mattress can enhance your rest. Welcome to our Sleep Guide.
Sleep is made up of multiple stages known as the sleep cycle. Our bodies typically go through the various sleep stages several times over the course of a night. This allows our body to rejuvenate and awaken feeling refreshed. During our sleep cycle the body’s various processes wind down. The heart and breathing rates slows and the muscles relax. Blood pressure and body temperature also fall. We begin to dream as the conscious mind directs itself inward instead of the outer world.
Good sleep habits can enhance your life and health. Not only will you be able to perform your daily tasks and obligations better, you will be able to deflect stress, tension, headaches and the like, better. Moreover optimum sleep allows your body to heal, rejuvenate and ward off illness better. When you have a great night’s sleep you’ll waken feeling less irritable and better prepared to face the day ahead. You’ll feel both physically and emotionally refreshed.
Tips for a better night’s sleep
1. Many people may not realize that caffeine is a stimulant and it can keep you awake at night. Avoid drinking caffeinated drinks such as coffee and Cola during the 2 hour window before bedtime. Try drinking herbal teas such as chamomile which is known for its soothing properties.
2. Avoid eating late at night. Have you ever noticed that you often feel tired after eating a large meal? Our bodies use a lot of energy in order to digest our food, which makes us feel tired. However, because our bodies are working hard at digesting, we are not able to get ourselves into the fully relaxed state necessary to get the full benefit of our sleep cycle
3. Stick to a schedule that can help train your body to sleep. Find a schedule that allows you to prepare for sleep at approximately the same time each night. This trains your mind and body to start to relax and get ready for sleep
4. Create a bedroom sanctuary. Choose comfortable bedding and furniture that promotes an air of tranquility. Remove TV’s, computers and other technology that can act as stimuli. Think of your bedroom as a quiet, soothing oasis that you use only for sleep. This is another way you can train your mind to relax and promote faster and deeper sleep.
5. Napping can be a great way to catch up on sleep, but it can also interfere with your real sleep. Do not nap in the evening; it is likely to interfere with your regular sleep routine. Also limit napping to 30-45 minutes. A short nap can help refresh you for the rest of the day. However a longer nap can put you into the deeper stages of your sleep cycle which, when interrupted, can actually make you feel more tired and groggy.
WR Mattress Gallery hopes you’ll get the restful night’s sleep you deserve! In addition to the previous tips, don’t forget that your mattress can greatly impact the way you sleep. Don’t put up with lumpy, sagging, uncomfortable mattresses. We offer mattresses in every comfort and to suit any budget. Come visit us, and allow us to help you find your ideal sleep solution.